Saturday, April 27, 2013

In Search of Snow

Okay, I missed #summitsunday last week. I feel bad about it because I remembered, but then decided to have a lazy Sunday instead. I think it is only the second #summitsunday I've missed since the project's beginning, which shows my dedication to pursuit of pointless fancies in the name of fun. All the same, feel free to suggest punishments for my truancy in the comments below. As partial-penance for last week I have an early post for this week, and will try to get another summit tomorrow as well.

I went in search of snow around the south end of the lake today. A good buddy Erika and I drove down to Emerald Bay at 6am, strapped skis to our backpacks in the early morning light, and proceeded to walk. Like, a lot. Somehow we had both forgotten tennis shoes, so we hiked in flip-flops until we got high enough to get to the snow line. We ended up finding a little snow to ski on, maybe 8 turns worth, but the real joy today was in sitting silently on a mountain on a cool, spring morning with a friend- and waiting and listening to the expanse of the sky above, and tracing the outlines of the ridge opposite.



No comments:

Post a Comment